Saturday, March 20, 2010

Comfort and Joy =}

Pure white feather-down comforters and pure white snow...I love them both! The comforter keeps you warm with plumps of feathers, and the snow, well...maybe not so warm, but definitely "plumpy". It is beautiful and soothing to the spirit! As I watch it drifting past my window, ever so gently creating a cushion on the earth's surface, I wonder what would cause the sudden change in temperature. Yesterday we had 70 degree weather, without a sign of clouds in the sky...until about 4 p.m. when the wind began to pick up and flap the awnings at my salon. Stepping outside to water the Juniper trees, I thought I probably should have taken the time to put my jacket on. And by the time I left work 3 hours later, my coat was snugly wrapped around me.

The fire is flickering in the fireplace and the cat is sleeping nearby on the ottoman. All is well. God created a way for us this morning, where there seemed to be no way. Actually it all started falling into place last week. Faithful as always. He opened up understanding and placed a thought that proved to be wisdom. And this time He didn't wait until the last minute! Or is it US that waits or can't seem to get into position for revelation? He tells us that everything we need for life is inside us. Everything. And if we need wisdom, He said ask for it and He would give it generously. Much of the time, I think we expect God to wiggle His nose (don't think He really has one =} ) and magically bring our expectations into full view. "Here ya go. What else can I do for ya?" Much like a retailer. And really all He wants us to do is to understand He has already given us everything we have need of! "Do it yourself," He says. "I've shown you how. What more can I do? Should I lift the spoon to your mouth so that all you have to do is open wide and swallow?"

Okay...okay. I'll get off my little soap box and stop pointing. I was raised in a very disciplined household. My dad drilled into us that "idleness is the devil's workshop" and never permitted much down time. And he taught us to be servants of others. Mom taught us to think. To ponder a situation until we came up with the answer. I think she was helping us by cushioning the heaviness of the demanding life on the farm. Much like the new falling snow this morning, cushioning the hard ground.

Life was rarely about us. Only brief moments of play. There was always something to do on the farm. Now that I'm older, I can understand a little more his demands on us kids. and appreciate those demands. I believe myself to be a survivor...not afraid of hard work and invite it. It will serve me in years to come by keeping my body more flexible. (I hope) =} But on that note, I suppose there may come a time when the seasons of my life change and I'm permitted to slow down some. That time may not be that far off...and if it isn't, I'm hoping I will still enjoy the softness and peacefulness of new fallen snow. I'm hoping that I will never "hate" the snow, (as some say they do).

I suppose I should finish going through our family pictures and pull those that have our oldest daughter living life. Gotta get them on a cd to send to North Carolina...June 19th, the day she will be wed, is rushing toward us...the day her last name with forever be changed. God is wrapping her in His pure love and moving her forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment