Sunday, July 4, 2010

"The Wedding of the Century"

Awww..."the wedding of the century", as Lindsey would say. I would love to talk about that special, some would say, magical...I would say "spiritual", day. But, oh my...this would be a realllllly long blog! I'm not sure I can even highlight the events. It all flowed so very special.

There has been so very much irony that has surrounded this union. Allow me just a few reflections... Let's start with the grooms ring. They had decided not to engrave to keep costs down. When they picked the rings up, on the inside of the grooms ring was the word, "faith". Remember, they did not order any engravings. For the sake of time, they kept the ring as it was. The brides ring has 19 stones, the engagement 3. I am a very big number gal. I believe God has set this world in motion with perfection and numbers are very significant. Pacify me for a moment while I share a few irony's.

Todd and Lindsey had their first date on March 19th, 2009. That would be 3/19. (collective stones in brides rings...3 in the engagement, 19 in the wedding band). Pretty cool, huh? Spiritually speaking, the number 19 means "faith". (The word inscripted inside the grooms ring) Go figure! Ephesians 2:8 says, "For by grace are you saved through faith;"  Five is the number for grace and 14 is the number for salvation. Faith puts us into grace, "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand," (Romans 5:2) At the same time that faith gives us access into grace, it also brings salvation. So when five, for grace, is added to 14, for salvation, the sum is 19, or faith. (The word inscripted on the grooms ring...without instruction from him!) Now, don't tell me God isn't behind all this. I don't believe in coincidences like this. Besides this is only one happening. There are many. Like Todd living on Granby Court. Lindsey's dad was raised in a little town called Granby, MO. Todd has only one sibling. A brother. Aaron Lee is his name. Lindsey's middle name is Erin. She has only one sibling. A sister. Meghan Leigh is her name. Just a little ironic that Todd's brother's name in Aaron Leigh...Both Todd and Aaron and Lindsey and Meg, are very close. 

Well, the wedding week was such an awesome time together. Each family getting to know each other just a little better in the peacefulness of the ocean front; in one of the most beautiful settings in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Awww...the Love Boat! Six master bedrooms and one large bedroom with bunk beds for the young teens that came with the minister and his wife. Whose last name just happens to be "Lewis." From Raleigh, NC. Unbelievable!!! Ya see what I'm sayin'? God is at work in the smallest details of our lives. Not that it's important for the minister's name to be Lewis...it's just God showing me how very much He is on the scene! It's His way of confirming to me that He is indeed present in the affairs of my life and those I hold so close to my heart. And what a great family this minister has! Dennis and I went for breakfast one morning with them to The Gingerbread House. What lovely daughters Tony and Paige have! It is so very refreshing to see children that have been disciplined to respect others. Not only do they esteem their parents as treasures, but they also show respect for others. Rare indeed. They are proof that discipline is so very important. Parents don't seem to get it. Consistent discipline may be painful for the  moment, but reaps great rewards! What a joy it was getting to know this fine family. I do hope it is the beginning of many years of friendship.

Then there was Grandad and Grandmom! What lovely people! Grandmom has the prettiest blue eyes, that when you look into them, they sparkle. She is mischievous to put it mildly, yet very lady-like. One day, she visited her grandsons, Todd's and Aaron's, bedroom while they were out. She thought it would be funny to short-sheet Todd's bed. We all got the biggest kick out of that one. Oh boy...her eyes danced when she saw him. And, the quiet, steady demeanor that identifies Todd, allowed the cutest half-smile to come across his face when he saw her. They seem to understand each other. =} Grandad is more talkative than you would expect an 82 (I think) year old to be. I love him! He has been oversees twice with the military and now holds a position choosing young men that might qualify for a training program in the military. Yes, he still works! Sharp as a tack! Just another reason I don't believe in retirement. He puts in 40 to 50 hours a week! Simply amazing! Pretty amazing people.

Our Lindsey and her Todd, are very organized people. Lindsey had this huge binder, attractively put together with all the information that would go into the making of one near perfect wedding. I say, "near" because the mother of the bride and as far as I know, the mother of the groom...both forgot to wear the absolutely beautiful wrist corsages prepared for them. They were in the ground floor fridge. I didn't even think about it until I was in the plane headed back to OK. How I wish I had that corsage! I would have pressed it between the pages of a book and kept the memory. But it didn't keep the bride from having the time of her life. I think her day was very fulfilling, even during "the walk" to her waiting entourage. As her daddy escourted her toward the sound, her emotions began to come to the surface, having been controlled just a little too long. "We need to talk about something funny," she told her Daddy. "Like what," says Dennis. "We could talk about Mom falling over the luggage in my bedroom." (Awww...sweet laughter).

These are only a very few of my memories...ones that God has brought back to my memory on this early fourth of July day. I fell asleep on the couch somewhere around 10, maybe it was 11. Dennis went on to bed at some point, but I didn't wake up until 2:22 this morning. Yup...the number thing is popping back up in my life. So, I had to search it out just a little. And after finding out a few things, which really gave me a sense of understanding why some things are like they are, I decided to reflect on the events of June 12-21. Wonderful, great, memories. Some were united for life...some were released from their own prision...some were refreshed...many were influenced!

But that's another story...

3 comments:

  1. Mom, I'm so glad that you and dad had such a great time! I think everyone truluy enjoyed themselves that week and I think everyone will have their own special memories to keep. Todd and I want to make sure that you and dad know and understand that we couldn't have had our "perfect" wedding without the 2 of you. And not just because you were so generous with your money but with your time as well. I know you wouldn't have had it any other way, but a lot of parents wouldn't have taken all that time off work, spent all that money on travel and then invested in dancing lessons, outfits etc... Not to mention all the emotional investments that 28 years of prayer required! Your presence at my wedding was confident and reassuring and some of my best memories will be because you and dad are such wonderful parents. Thank you so much! Todd and I both are so grateful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!!! i'm ready for more of the story!! you described everything beautifully mom! keep going, i want to read more of how you saw things :) i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written mary! I almost felt like I was there!

    ReplyDelete