Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Dance

When we found out that Dennis was going to be expected to dance with his oldest daughter at her wedding, we decided it might be a good idea to take dance lessons! We knew he could probably get away with just a simple "sway back and forth, move in a circle" type thing, but I wasn't willing to settle for that. After all, this was our firstborns wedding, for cryin' out loud! Surely there could be a little effort put into making it a memorable event!

After our first lesson, I was hooked! What fun! Oh my gosh! If you are reading this and have never danced with your husband/wife...do something about it NOW! Taking dance lessons was the best decision we had made in a very long time. Three lessons later, we felt like we could command the dance floor with added moves other than what had been taught. Dennis had to be the leader, according to the instructor, and it was up to him to direct me as we danced. We were supposed to create cue's for every move, so I wouldn't get caught off guard. I don't think that ever happened. He just did his thing, and I better be sensing what that was going to be. He loved flipping me out and bringing me back into his arms...then flipping me out to the other side and back again. Then it was time to twirl me...out...in...out...in, three times. Not really sure why he loved those moves so much, except it kept him from having to remember the fox trot. Fast, fast, slow. Fast, fast, slow. Or maybe he didn't particularly like the New Yorker. I loved the New Yorker! And the Swing Dance. Right, left, right. Right, left, right. Left, right, left. Left, right, left. (Done with sway or swagger). And then, push, pull, push. (three times) There were many more moves to the Swing, all equally fun. I loved the Swing. We had so much fun...when we practiced. Which was very few times. He listened to the cd Linds had sent us of the play list she would be having at the wedding. He wore the threads off it as he drove to work and back. I got to take it with me only one time. :-/  It's no wonder he had some added moves! But I was excited! Because we had never danced together in all the years of our marriage. And I loved the feeling of being wrapped in his arms.

I waited in great anticipation of the time for dancing. It was hot the night of the wedding, but I still waited. Finally, it was time to dance! Bride and Groom first! Such romance in the offering. Then it was Daddy's turn to dance with his baby girl. What a beautiful dance as they danced to the music of "My Girl". They had practiced together for about 15 minutes the day before. Or was it the day of? I don't really remember. But Meg and I, along with Tony and Paige's youngest daughter, watched as Dennis explained what he wanted to do in the dance. Lindsey loved it, Meghan teared up and I swayed to the music by myself as I watched such a very special time between daddy and daughter. Next in line for dancing, before anyone else could occupy the floor, was Todd and his mom. Finally...it's time for us! Nothing. I'm wondering why he's not getting up to dance with me. Slowly, my feelings began to hurt. I had put way too much expectation into this time. I didn't give him room for his own anxious thoughts of being on the floor where everyone could see what was happening. But he had done so well with Lindsey! Maybe he was just nervous. Or maybe he was waiting on just the right song. The songs we had practiced to. That was it! Of course! Well, the DJ didn't know we were waiting on certain songs, so he played a variety, something for everyone. And it was fun to watch. But I really wanted to dance. Pretty soon Meg comes and gets us to come to the floor, with much resistance from her daddy. "We don't know this song," he said. But along he came as I talked him into participating. "Listen to the beat," I said. "You can do this!" He must have been so nervous, but I pressed, and he consented! Even if he only used a couple of the steps we had learned, I still got to dance with my husband. But when the song ended, so did the dancing. For us anyway. He just couldn't bring himself to try any other songs.

The dance floor filled up and I resolved to stand at the side and watch as the younger ones enjoyed themselves. And I enjoyed watching them. There was my Meg. She was dancing also! To see her so happy, was exciting in itself! At one point only the women were dancing. How cute they were! I think I must have missed out on a lot of fun in my young years. Yes, they were having a lot of fun...couldn't believe some of the moves I was seeing. And look at Lindsey! Whoa! She weaved in and out of the crowd with the rhythm of a pro! They were tireless, even in the heat. It had been a beautiful night, full of the celebration of two lives looking into the future together. We're always better together, you know. (Todd and Lindsey had given us a "Year One" album for Christmas last year. On the last page, there was a picture of him and one of her. Both had their first names identifying each pic, and then a picture of them together...with the inscription, "better together" just beneath it.) Yes, we're better together!

Until the next memory, I am respectfully yours...MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment