Monday, September 14, 2026

Sleep Doesn't Come Easy These Days...


When the girls were small, it was a given.

I expected to be up every 2 hours with one, or the other, of them. Raising little people took devotion, and I was up for it. Literally...

Ah...those were the days. The days may have been full (to say the least), but the nights were reserved for them. Making sure their dreams were as calm and peaceful, as possible. 

I was tired some mornings. But as soon as my feet hit the floor, it was time for the adrenaline to perk me up. And it did. There may have been a morning (or two...or ten) stretched out in betwixt the many, that the grumpy came for a visit. We won't talk about those. Focus now. Good memories only...

That's when Dad had to bring his A game. It was only fair, right? Since he was the only one that seemed to sleep the entire night, I figured it was his turn. The rested one...until he met the walking dead, where the one with less sleep was having a hard time filtering what the most important service needed at the moment, actually was.

Years gone by...

And, here I sit, at my lonely computer...smack dab in the middle of the night. Again...

Earlier...somewhere around 1:45-2:00 AM, I had gotten up to visit the water closet/aka/bathroom. The water appeared to be as tired as I was, giving very little pressure. Toilet flushed just fine, but refused to refill immediately, like it's suppose to. Hmmmm...

I tried the lavatory. Same. No pressure...small, narrow stream at best. Hummmm...I need sleep. Not "now what?"

So...being the savvy elderly person that I am, I asked the ever present AI that sits ready, willing, and able, to answer any and all questions. Not necessarily correctly...but none-the-less, answers are quickly delivered. 

At the end of the conversation I was directed to call 311 "Right NOW!" Then I was instructed to "get some rest." Confused as to what I should do, I just went back to bed. I didn't call, nor did I get some rest. I tried. But my ever active brain said, "Not on my watch! You've been up more than 2 minutes...get busy!"

Ignoring the demands, I gave my body fifteen minutes to follow the instructions of getting some rest, ignoring the first instruction to call 311. I then decided sleep was not in the cards for me, so I got back up. My eyes are heavy, but...

I knew my trusty computer was an option to help me become more tired, so here I am. Fingers moving, brain slowing a bit...just not there yet. Late night charging stations are clearly shut down, so why am I even trying? Clueless...

I did get some work done in my day planner. Got a few more descriptive stickers stuck on this weeks agenda. Too much writing without the distraction of pretty stickers just isn't fair. And it's decently boring. So, peel and stick...

Got a couple of posts scheduled for my Facebook Group, Ageless Hair Secrets. Monday's "If You Were In My Chair" is ready to go (later this morning...about 3 hours aways now), and Tuesday's "Chair Side Secret #5, is ready as well. Both scheduled for 7 AM on their proper day.

Gotta think about the upcoming video I promised for Wednesday, but I truly don't want to at the moment. That would take real concentrated effort and my spunk hasn't quite arrived...but I do know what it's going to be about. That's something. Right?

And just so you know, because I know you're wondering (those of you who know me, anyway), I HAVE started Fall Decorations! The totes have been positioned, and already removed...back to their waiting place, for once this season has carried us into the next. Then the totes will come back out, fall deco stored safely for next year, and Winter's Christmas totes (they are many) will show themselves for my hands and my heart to make our living space(s) look like Santa flung everything he had at our house.

This year feels a little different, though. I'm not entirely sure how crazy I'll get this year with decorating. Years at the salon created a decorating monster in me. But, as the years goes by, and now that I'm retired from working the salon, the days now seem reserved for only 2 people. Not sure how much pull just the two of us has on an aging body. It's still fun once we get into it. Just getting into it is the thing. 😂

And Christmas Eve is always fun at our house. 

Did I just jump to Christmas? Afraid so. It's how my brain works. Jump. Jump. Jump. The weeks of preparing for our family gathering during the holidays is the highlight of our year. Just being a part of the hustle and bustle of the season...with twinkling lights lining roadways and homes, stores sharing all kinds of ideas to create family memories, and our littles faces when they stop by, makes this heart so very full and happy. 

They are the ones who bring this house to life. Especially while playing games on Christmas Eve where everybody wins something, but the big prize goes to only one. Their energy creates a full heart in this Grams of theirs. And Gramps. He loves it to...

We wrap up the evening by preparing white paper bags, filling them with sand and candles, organizing them every 5' along the roadside, and finally lighting the luminaria. We love how they light up the neighborhood...especially when neighbors set some out, as well. It's a great ending to a fun filled evening. And I always hope for cold weather...

Hopefully, it's a memory we all will cherish "for as long as we shall live."

They are growing up way too fast! I think we need more babies to fill this house again! 😬🤩😁

As always, here you will find me...in Mary's World.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment