Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Time and It's Stored Memories


They say that as one ages, memories are all they have left. I'm not so sure I agree with that, exactly. But, most definitely memories are, on many days, front and center of my thoughts. 

This one, for instance. It was in the year of 1986, taken at our very small church gathering to celebrate something or another. I think we looked for things to celebrate back then. 😁

This was taken about 3 months, or so, after B.F. Goodrich closed their doors in Miami, Oklahoma, and Dennis had just landed a job at Walmart that paid $11 LESS (on the hour) than what Goodrich had been paying him at the time they decided to get rid of one of their tire manufacturing places. His beginning pay at Walmart was a mere $3 (and some odd cents), per hour. Miami took a hit that almost turned them into a ghost town when B.F. Goodrich closed its doors. Seriously! It took the town a few years to recover, because many of the residents of this small Northeastern town worked for B.F.Goodrich. They were the highest paying employer for miles around and it kept our economy booming.

After the loss of that job, our backs were up against a wall, so-to-speak, so I had to reopen my salon, known as Mary's Place. I cried for a solid week. Every day, as I prepared the relaunch of the salon, my heart broke into a million pieces. I had closed the salon just a few days before Lindsey made her way into this world, and we had decided I should be a full time mom. Now, 4 years later, I was having to choose business over cuddling and playing with my girls. Still, the added work just wasn't enough, even though we had been humbled as we accepted Food Stamps to provide the bare necessities of life with 2 little people depending on us. Dennis needed a job! It took a while. Yet, while others were claiming bankruptcy, losing their homes, divorces invading the once secure families, and men refusing to work for under $14 an hour (that was a lot back in the day), Dennis was protecting his. As was I.

The girls were just getting used to their dad without all his facial hair, when the above pic was taken. "No beards," was one of Walmarts rules if you wanted to work for them. That changed over the years, and D.W. grew his beard back to look more like himself, as the first "okay" came down the pike. I remember the tears coming from Lindsey and Meg when they first saw his shaven face. I think they must have been a bit confused as to how he sounded like their daddy, but looked nothing like him. His (now gone) prickly whiskers caused them to doubt his words. Meghan cried a little harder, as Lindsey took a couple of steps back away from this strange looking man, that looked more like a very tall boy, who claimed to be her daddy. If Lindsey wanted nothing to do with him, Meghan sure didn't! She wasn't falling for that bag of tricks.

It's been said that pictures are worth a thousand words, and that pictures don't lie. Pictures do lie. We were just holding it all together, smiling as if nothing was wrong, when the above picture was taken. But, we DID get through that very trying time, and many other trying times (with a different twist) have come our way since then. I suppose the moral of this story would be to always look forward, pull yourself up by your boot straps, and forge onward, until that brighter day comes towards you. Reach for it, pray for it, stand steady while waiting, doing all you know to do, and grab it when it comes! Because it WILL come!

See? We made it!!! 

Left to right: Lindsey w/daughter Warner, Me (Grams), Meg w/daughter Reagan, and Dennis (Gramps). Look how we've changed over the years! I suppose we should get a picture of our entire family, right? It's really, really, hard getting all 10 of us in the same place at the same time. Maybe next blog post...

Until then, here you will find me...in Mary's World.


4 comments:

  1. Mary
    I just love this open hearted journey with your family. Love to the Lewis family ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog post! I love allowing my mind to spread itself out through my fingers as it takes me to places of days long gone, and even to the here and now on occasion. Sometimes while on my early morning walks, and my mind is quiet, it begins to inspire me. I wish I knew who you are, but please know that I am grateful that you enjoyed this tid-bit from a very long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy Bozydaj McClureMarch 21, 2024 at 10:15 AM

    Hi Mary! I’m so glad I saw your FB post today where your daughter asked if anyone ready your Blog. I don’t recall if I knew you had a blog or not, but I did enjoy this one dated 3-20-24. What an awesome recollection of days past and bringing us all back to the present day…. Yes my dear, y'all made it through the tougher days of yesteryear. I enjoyed the read and I also enjoyed having you in Cary, NC as my stylist. 💗🥰. Keep doing all you do Grams. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!!! I appreciate your feedback to my blog post! Hope to see you around here, often! Wish I could figure out how to notify those who follow me when a new blog lands. My followers tell me they never know unless they see them on FB. 🤷‍♀️ Thanks again!

      Delete