Monday, January 22, 2024

Triggering Mental Stress Points

Researchers agree that acute trauma or repetitive micro-trauma may lead to the development of a trigger point. Please re-read and allow this to be absorbed into your understanding before going further.  

Of course, those researchers are talking about muscle pain...not mental pain. Yet, isn't it the brain that controls how a muscle works? They say that lack of exercise, prolonged poor posture, vitamin deficiencies, sleep disturbances, and joint problems may all predispose to the development of micro-trauma. I believe this statement is easily translated to the organ that controls the muscle. That being the brain. I will add that just as a hand slides easily into a glove made for it, so trauma slides easily into the memories bank inside a brain made for it. How we store it makes a difference. How long we were exposed to the trauma, also makes a difference. We are told, "Don't let it imprison you." "You give the reason for the trauma to control you if you revisit it too often." "Rise above it." "Re-invent your life." "Your life is what you make it." "Change the patterns that trigger the trauma (how in the name everything holy, does one do that)." 

We encourage those with life's left-over trauma(s) to do the impossible, in my humble opinion. How does one wipe out their memory hard-drive? The only way I've ever been aware of is to just get a new hard-drive. Bringing a new hard drive into the arena of mental trigger points can be an impossible thing. One would have to cease breathing, right? However, I've done a bit of research myself...

Turns out one can repair a non-functional hard drive without destroying it. The computer kind. (And if the computer kind, why not a human kind?) Just by opening it up and adjusting the faulty arm that has been compromised and has shut the computer down. An under 5 minute fix. I'm one that believes all things are relative, while understanding the human body is unique, and is not an inanimate object, yet because God is a connection entity (in all things), I'm prone to believe that my own "hard drive" can be fixed (lived with). One of the divine mysteries that is unexplainable. Fixed...but rarely erased. Memories are just that. Memories. And memories trigger responses.

The organ that controls our whole body is the most mysterious of all organs. Turns out what we feed it the most, is what will rule over us. Much like what we feed our body will define health or sickness. If fear has been given command of the brain, it's not that big of a task to create trigger points that cause disruptions in everyday life. 

I have actually experienced trauma erase...for a time. When I was able to face it head on and live knowing I was free from it, the memory returned. The memory that said I wasn't important. Wasn't valuable. Wasn't needed, and most certainly wasn't loved. That I was too sensitive, too weak, too unimportant. Memory stacked upon memory of mental and physical abuse. They are easy things to trigger, because life isn't perfect. We make mistakes. We say things that shouldn't be said. By-in-large, we are selfish people, trying to live our best life while dodging bullets. Or maybe shooting them...

Our brain is an amazing organ. It's been said that we actually use only 10% of it, but that myth was busted awhile back. Truth is, a healthy human uses 100% of their brain. Not all at the same time, just parts that are needed in the moment.  

Even though I believe I have overcome, even subdued, most of the memories from traumatic experiences, I will on occasion, be triggered. This doesn't mean I allow the trigger to take over my consciousness for long periods of time. What it does mean is that it will take me back to a moment in time that will confirm I was right...that few of humanity can be trusted...if any. And that is not a great feeling to have. Sometimes I get defensive. Sometimes I get resentful. Sometimes, I just retreat and become quiet for a very long time. 

Until truth seeps back in, I'm a mess. 

I think it's safe to say that most of humanity has trigger points. Don't you agree? Question is, how do we handle them? Are we able to really live? Or do we just place one foot in front of the other as we figure it out? How many years does one "live" before they have a handle on it? How long does it take before we can say, "Not today. This experience will not steal my joy and knowledge that I am worthy of love." 

We all have someone who cares about us. I was reminded of that just this past weekend. We need to remind ourselves of this truth and not allow a victim mentality to consume us. We either control our mind, or our mind will control us.

Reminding myself to be calm as I weather the storms that pull at my peace, here you'll find me...in Mary's World, totally whole. 





No comments:

Post a Comment