Saturday, February 4, 2023

Imaginations

Some say I have an overactive imagination. I'm not sure how I should take that, but I choose to think of it as a compliment. I can spin a story that only conspiracy theorists would sit and listen to. If I can't know what is happening at any given moment, my thoughts begin to create possible scenarios, and it doesn't take a lot for those thoughts to attach themselves as reality, in the worst possible way.

Case in point: I have "Find My Friend" activated on my iPhone. Both my girls agreed to allow me access to their whereabouts "just in case". They both know it helps me sleep at night knowing they are safely home when bedtime arrives. If they're not, and don't answer a text, nor a call, I am headed toward their last known location. And who wants that? Right? Anyway, such was the case one evening, a few months ago, where the app was following our youngest in a place I didn't recognize and it was near a body of water. No response to texting. No response to a phone call. I waited for a bit, until I couldn't wait any longer. My mind was already painting a less than desired scenario, so I sent a message to her sister to see if she had heard from her. She hadn't, but was sure she was okay. I wasn't. I knew someone had grabbed her while she was going to her car after work, and was doing only God knows what to her. Was she hand tied, with mouth sealed by duct tape, and thrown into the trunk of her car? Who had my baby girl? And why were they beside a lake? Oh geez...

Then, my baby called. She knew I would be nearing the frantic stage. "Hi Momma!" her sweet voice said. "I'm working with Door Dash tonight, but I'm on my last delivery and headed home." And though the news pulled my away from the ledge, I was still very concerned. A pretty young woman delivering food to anyone and everyone, past dark and alone, well.... She kept the soft tone in her voice as she spoke to me, "That's why it's called Door Dash, mom. You drop it at their door and dash off. Rarely do I even see anyone, and the pay is good." This girl has never had any problem finding ways to pad her paycheck, should she need just a tad more for special occasions and such. I had no idea you could get paid for selling your plasma, either. But when I found out that was a real thing, my imagination took hold and a whole new story began its journey as it ran in and out of the brain waves as they fired and sparked off each other. 

And then, there was the time I was shopping at Wal-Mart, in Miami, Oklahoma. My husband was employed there, and was walking with me through the store, when I noticed a man and a woman being very secretive. They maneuvered in and out of a couple of displays as they kept an eye out for someone who might know them. I was sure it was a rendezvous of two people cheating on their spouses, as I watched them whispering to each other, sometimes serious, sometimes smiling. Turns out they were store employees watching a woman stealing. 🙄

Someone needs to hook me up to Alexa or Siri for story time and just sit back and listen to the mysterious happenings of who done it going on inside my brain.

Until the next sleepless night, here you'll find me...in Mary's World

No comments:

Post a Comment