Monday, January 2, 2012

Finish Well

It all started this past Dec 7th. (Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it's seed was planted way back in the days of Fellowship of Christians, when my brother-in-law, pastor of the church we attended, preached one Sunday about it.) But it became very clear to us December of 2011. We were attending an ATI meeting in Tulsa, OK. and a close friend of ours was praying over us, as we look ahead to new beginnings. Not the new beginnings a new year brings...but the new things we'll face when making the move from Oklahoma to North Carolina.

For the past 37 years, our lives (my husband's & mine) have been rooted in Oklahoma soil. We met, fell in love, married, struggled at times accepting each other, had our children, dedicated our lives to God & His Church, Home Educated our daughters, started a support group for home educators, organized Curriculum Fairs (yearly for 5 years), led a church drama team, taught a children's group, opened a business, and pastored a church. Oh yes...and managed a home. Not necessarily in that order.

Our friend, while praying for us, said these words over and over, "finish strong!" No matter where we found ourselves to be, we were to finish strong. I do realize this is something that should be common sense for everyone. But for some reason, God really wanted us to get it. And we did!

Fast forward to today. While visiting in N.C. over the Christmas holiday, our son-in-law gave us both a challenge. Not knowing what has already happened in our hearts, he connected us to Jon Acuff and his challenge to finish well. Finish what you start...well. Very interesting. Especially to me. That's how God yanks my chain. He seems to enjoy using numbers with me. Three times I must hear something for it to attach itself to me...to really get my attention. The first time, it's something I know would be good in my life. The second time, I start to sit up a little straighter. And the third time, I say, "OKAY! I've got it!" Maybe it's because He knows I'm a number person and that I believe in the significance of numbers. The number three? It means "resurrection" and speaks to me the resurrection from a dead area in my life. I love how He loves me.

For the first time in a while, I actually enjoyed cleaning the business we own. Planning, rearranging, dusting, removing, adding, creating. I am determined to "finish well...finish strong" no matter where I find myself to be. Many things the Lord has spoken to me in 2011, but the most prominent is to finish well/strong. The Word He has given me to ponder in my heart...and alongside it, He has promised me His Grace. I can't begin to tell you (just because I couldn't count) the number of times He has spoken grace to me. "Grace multiplied" is what He shows me. Yes, in numbers. When others aren't speaking into my life, God uses His numbers alongside His Word.

Today, I opened an email from ChurchLeaders.com. Want to guess what it's thrust was? "New Year's Resolution: Finish Well"...now you gotta agree with me. Our God is the awesome God.

And now, I'm ready for anything...I think...here in Mary's World.






1 comment:

  1. HI Mary,

    I do love your thoughts! Very inspiring to me. Glad to know you have a blog!

    Happy New Year and finish strong girl!

    ReplyDelete